The One of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood, Danny Trejo tattoo work has been featured in countless films and magazines.
The first thing most people notice on Danny Trejo is the giant tattoo on his chest and the others all over his body. He has earned the nickname of "The Illustrated Man" and is a legitimate tough guy after having spent most of the 60's in some of the toughest prisons in the California correctional system. Cursed with a horrendous childhood in one of the toughest areas in Los Angeles, there wasn't many options for the young Latino. In the end he chose to become a criminal and has admitted his faults, after serving his time has become a drug counselor.
While in the correctional system, Trejo learned how to box and even won titles while in San Quentin. While at a Cocaine Anonymous meeting he was seen by a director who later called him for support services. When Danny Trejo arrived it turned out to be the set for Runaway Train. Due to his tough appearance he was offered a job as an extra then later a jot as boxing coach. He was such a natural at that he became the featured opponent against Eric Roberts in the film. This was the beginning for Danny Trejo and you may have seen him in some notable films like:
- Spy Kids
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Con Air
- Rob Zombie's Halloween
- Planet Terror
- and over 160 other films!
Having worked in Hollywood since the mid-80's he has worked on at least 5 films a year, every year and has no signs of stopping and has 6 films in post-production in 2009 alone! As long as there are bad guys to be played, Danny Trejo will certainly get to play some of them. It is this work schedule that has made him arguably one of the most prolific actors in movies today.
Meanings Behind the Danny Trejo Tattoo Work
Red Heart with Barbed WireThe Chest Tattoo: Placed directly over the heart and taking up the majority of his torso, his chest tattoo is seen in many of the films Danny Trejo has worked on. It features a woman wearing a sombrero. A bright red heart near the base and wrapped in wire is a fairly new addition and is meant to signify "forever" to the actor in regards to his marriage to his wife Debbie.
A couple facts about this ink:
- This piece of ink has been voted most recognizable in the world by International Tattoo Magazine
- It has been in 139 movies
- It has been featured in 100's of magazines
- This piece of ink is actually a prison tattoo
- The ink began in Folsomm prison and finished in San Quentin over a 2 year period while Trejo was in solitary confinement
The hummingbird symbolizes a few things to different cultures:
- They are a meaning of peace, love and happiness to North, South and Central America
- Ancient Pagans viewed the hummingbird sacred due to their boundless energy and anxiety
- In Native American culture, the hummingbird symbolizes timeless joy and as the nectar of life. It is a symbol of accomplishing the near impossible, finding the joy in your life despite your circumstances